Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Left Brain Right Brain???


I took an online test the other day to see if I was left or right brained. ( No weak no-brain comments allowed, you all know better.)

The test is here.

I assumed I would be very left brained. I see myself as a logical thinker.

My score was 53% right, 47% left, almost evenly balanced. Not at all what I expected.

My dominant left brain characteristic was sequential. According to the results page:
"Sequential processing is a method used by the left hemisphere for processing information. The information that is received is processed in order from first to last. Information is processed in a systematic, logical manner. Through sequential processing, you can interpret and produce symbolic information such as language, mathematics, abstraction, and reasoning. This process is used to store memory in a language format. Activities that require sequential processing include spelling, making a "to-do" list, and many aspects of organization."

I will buy almost of this.

My dominant right brain characteristic was non-verbal.
"Nonverbal processing is a method used by the right hemisphere to process our thoughts with illustrations. Reliance on this method is why it is occasionally difficult for right-brained people to "find the right words" in certain situations. A right-brained person cannot just read or hear information and process it, but first must make a mental video to better understand the information they have received. For example, through nonverbal processing, a person giving directions may say, "Continue going straight until you see a big, red-brick courthouse. At the courthouse turn right, and go down that street for a couple of miles until you see a gray stone church which will be on your right. Straight across from the church is the road to the left you need to take." With nonverbal processing, the directions that are given are extremely visual compared to the exact, sequential directions that would be given by a left-brained person."

This is me also.

I have always made fun of you right brain creative types. I guess my chickens are coming home to roost, I am becoming one of you...

(Do I have an inner artist struggling to get out?!?!?!)

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I'm 63% left, 37% right.

Most dominant
Reality-based (left)
Intuitive (right)

Least dominant
Symbolic (left)
Fantasy-oriented (right)

I'd say they pinned me pretty well. :)