Thursday, January 10, 2008

Polar Shift

Just finished the Clive Cussler book, "Polar Shift". It was good, though the ending was not very satisfying. It is a Kurt Austin book. While the Austin/Zavala books are good, I am partial to Dirk Pitt/Al Giordino. Dirk and Al have been so developed as chracters over the years, through so many stories and adventures, I feel like I know them.

Cussler is a master story teller, lots of fluff with little emotional involvement. Very satisfying and shallow.

Before Polar Shift, I read the Terry Brooks book, "Armageddon's Children". First one in a new trilogy. If you are familiar with his work, trilogies are his thing. This group seems like it will link the Word/Void stories with Shannara. I love his writing, though I read his work differently than Cussler. Cussler books, I just run through nonstop. Not much thinking or reflection. Terry Brooks, like Tolkien,  requires some investment from me, kind of like taking a deep breath before you start. I rush through them in anticipation of a great story/epic, that I end up immediately reading them a second time, much slower, just to absorb more of the details. Very enjoyable, but a little tiring, needing a few days emotional break after the second time through, hence the Cussler reading.

Next is Glenn Beck's "An Inconvenient Book". I don't read a lot of books like this, but I really enjoy his radio show.

2 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

OK - what genre are these books? The boys loved Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (I know, can you believe I let them read those?). So, would you suggest these for 13 and 15 yos boys?

-The Mountain Man- said...

The Shannara books are great fantasy stories, especailly if you are a LOTR fan. There is lots of emotion and depth to the characters.

Here is the author's recommeded reading order(btw, I agree with him):

The Sword of Shannara Trilogy
· The Sword of Shannara
· The Elfstones of Shannara
· The Wishsong of Shannara

A Shannara Short Story
· Indomitable (I have not read this one)

The Heritage of Shannara
· The Scions of Shannara
· The Druid of Shannara
· The Elf Queen of Shannara
· The Talismans of Shannara

A Prequel of Shannara
· First King of Shannara

The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara
· Ilse Witch
· Antrax
· Morgawr

High Druid of Shannara
· Jarka Ruus
· Tanequil
· Straken

Read the Word and Void books after these.

Cussler is an adventure writer. He wrote the book that was the story for the movie "Sahara." Very shallow, easy and enjoyable.