Thursday, January 10, 2008

Unsecure Wi-Fi

Here is an interesting article.

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/01/securitymatters_0110

I practice this at my home. Our wireless signal is totally unsecure. Since we all use laptops that either have no secret info on them, or are turned off when not in use, I don't see much reason to secure our signal. Anyone who wishes to use it for a little while is more than welcome. I must admit that I am guilty of the other side also. There are times when I am out of the office and need the internet. If there are no free portals aavilable, often I drive to a cluster of small offices or down a residential street with my laptop turned on, looking for a signal. When I find one, I park and borrow some bandwidth for a few minutes.

If everyone did this, most of our city would have wireless internet for no more than we pay now.

No comments: